Outline of the Plan for Episcopal Transition in The Diocese of West Missouri
The Standing Committee will encourage the diocesan community to explore God’s call to us as expressed in diocesan identity, purpose, mission, and vision. That discernment will continue through the transition process and be a central focus of the ministry of the bishop provisional.
- The Standing Committee will interview candidates to serve as bishop provisional.
- Candidates will be presented by the Rt. Rev. Todd Ousley, Bishop for the Office of Pastoral Development in the spring or summer of 2021.
- The Standing Committee will select one candidate and present him or her to the diocese electronically during the summer or early autumn 2021.
- The Standing Committee will select a chairperson for a committee to welcome the bishop provisional and assist with the transition.
- Standing Committee will select some members of that committee.
- Additional committee members will be elected by the deaneries.
- The Standing Committee will introduce a resolution to the Diocesan Convention on November 6, 2021 to hire the bishop provisional.
- If the resolution is seconded and carries by a simple majority vote of the convention body as a whole, not by orders, then the resolution will be adopted. The result is that the bishop provisional will be hired by the diocese.
- If the resolution does not carry, the process to select a bishop provisional will begin again.
- The bishop provisional may begin work with the diocese that day or soon thereafter.
- The Standing Committee will select a chairperson for a committee to develop the diocesan profile.
- The means of selecting the committee members will be published.
- This may occur sometime during the bishop provisional’s first year in office.
- The Standing Committee will select a chairperson for the bishop search committee.
- The means to select the committee members will be published.
- Three committee members will be elected by each deanery.
- Three additional committee members will be selected by the Standing Committee.
- The Standing Committee will publish tentative dates for a special convention to elect a bishop diocesan, for consecration and seating. This will be toward the end of the bishop Provisional’s time with us.
- The Standing Committee will select the chairperson for a committee to welcome the new bishop diocesan and publish the means to select the committee members.
An introduction to the episcopal transition plan and links to the approved version of this document will be published in the New Spirit, social media, and sent to selected email lists. Over the coming months we will publish further articles in the New Spirit detailing our plans. A separate communications plan for disseminating information relating to the episcopal transition will be produced. Congregational leaders will be encouraged to share all information published relating to the transition.